First, a big hello to windmist who added me to his friends list yesterday. As always, I'm happy to reciprocate. Welcome to my LJ.
UPS left the package at my door yesterday afternoon. I don't know why the driver didn't do that the day before but it's good enough for me. My faith in UPS is about 95% restored. :) Ordinarily, I would have chosen the Postal Service since the mailman knows to just leave the packages. (No one here is going to steal them... please.) However, it turns out for oversized boxes, UPS Ground is much cheaper than US Postal Service. Why is that? Beats me, but that has always been the case.
A funny thing happened while I was strolling through the Net. I got sucked into NaNoWriMo. NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month, is a month-long event where the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel by midnight on November 30.
Actually, I didn't intend to get into it at all. I wrote about 600 words on the 1st and set it aside. On the 5th, I started again and somehow, before I knew it, I had added 9,700 more words to the nascent work.
What is it about? Hard to say... and to tell the truth, I hadn't been giving it much thought. I guess for quantity alone, it just works better that way. Save the story with a point to it for the real novel. So far though, I have:
- A shy country farmboy travels to the big city for a college education and gets other kinds of... umm... education.
- A medieval-type battle takes place over the rugged mountains of the Hudson Highlands.
- A most unlikely archaeological team explores the ruins far below New York City in an effort to rescue a friend and solve the mystery of a lost civilization.
- A nuclear war breaks out with devastating and unforseen consequences because of mosquitoes.
- An aging track coach tries to relive his former glory but no one understands his methods.
- A car collision on a winding New England country road destroys a flower stand and leads to a life-changing decision. (Man, that needs work.)
- Two sexually curious young furries explore their... umm... feelings for each other (Whoa! How did THAT get in there?) and get caught in an embarrassing situation.
- And of course, some bad jokes.