Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
However, people have been known to try other strategies including:
- Buying a stronger whip
- Saying "this is the way we have always ridden this horse"
- Appointing a committee to study the horse
- Arranging to visit other organisations to see how they ride dead horses
- Declaring that the horse is not dead, just resting
- Harnessing several dead horses together for increased speed
- Declaring that "no horse is too dead to beat"
- Purchasing a product to make dead horses run faster
- Forming a quality circle to find uses for dead horses
- Promoting the dead horse to management
Alexander wisdom would say that you:
- bring the focus back from the horse to yourself
- look at your goal: "To what end was I riding that dead horse in the first place?"
- set about establishing the best means of achieving your goal
- decide on the appropriate course of action re: the dead horse
- establish how best to implement it
Some of that sounds way, way too familiar.
As for the thread itself, it's a lot of hand-wringing over the future direction of K-Meleon because the project no longer has a lead developer, or any official developers for that matter. My inclination is not to worry. Some of the recent unofficial versions are pretty good in terms of speed and stability. If K-Meleon becomes horribly lacking in some way, someone will step in and either implement it or borrow the necessary components from Firefox. That has happened a number of times already.
In the long run though, we'll still need someone to consolidate all the tweaks, hacks, customizations, and improvements that have been accumulating on the K-Meleon forum into version 1.0.
I was planning to go to Bennigan's this evening because I had a pretty good coupon from the Sunday paper. Unfortunately, when I got to their Ramsey location, I saw that it had turned into an Olive Garden. I didn't get that memo!
There's a Houlihan's down the road from where Bennigan's used to be. What if Bennigan's and Houlihan's had a merger and became Hooligan's? Would you get roughed up at every meal? :)