Ramsey Retail Roundup
Made a quick trip today to find the Triangle's Roof geocache in Ramsey. The Triangle 17 strip mall (with the Pathmark supermarket) is not very far away so I do go there often. Even so, the cache spot is new to me because I haven't been up to the rooftop parking area.
Went to Quiznos this evening. This time, I used one of the vouchers from their 25th Anniversary Sweepstakes to get a bowl of soup to supplement the usual sandwich. On my way out, I noticed a certificate on the wall with the date the restaurant opened for business. The restaurant opened in February 2005, so it would be coming up on its own 1-year anniversary. Seeing as how I probably won't be back until February, I offered my congratulations to Victor, the restaurant manager, and best wishes for the years to come.
Then I went to Home Depot in Mahwah. I had a few items in mind for upcoming projects. Among other things, I got a pair of safety goggles to replace the ones I have that are badly scratched. (Yes, the scratches show that the goggles were indeed working because I get whacked by branches a lot in wooded areas with thick brush.) I don't know about the other Home Depots, but the self-checkout machines in this store are somewhat flawed. The first thing I noticed is putting an item in the shopping bag doesn't always register on the scale. So I had to push down on the scale to get the self-checkout machine to see that I've bagged the item. Then I saw that coins were getting stuck in the coin slot. I freed them by poking a key into the slot. (So when is O'Reilly coming out with "Self-checkout Hacks"? :) )
Then I noticed that the bill acceptor was rejecting a lot of dollar bills. (I don't think it likes the Where's George stamp, but still...) So I asked the self-checkout attendant if he could count the bills and enter the payment amount at his station. Nope, he said, he didn't have that ability. Huh?? Anyway, I found that inserting the same bill into the bill acceptor a few times will eventually get it to accept the bill. So it could also be an alignment problem. But hey, the store saved a bunch of money with these self-checkout machines by not having to hire as many cashiers.
Went to Quiznos this evening. This time, I used one of the vouchers from their 25th Anniversary Sweepstakes to get a bowl of soup to supplement the usual sandwich. On my way out, I noticed a certificate on the wall with the date the restaurant opened for business. The restaurant opened in February 2005, so it would be coming up on its own 1-year anniversary. Seeing as how I probably won't be back until February, I offered my congratulations to Victor, the restaurant manager, and best wishes for the years to come.
Then I went to Home Depot in Mahwah. I had a few items in mind for upcoming projects. Among other things, I got a pair of safety goggles to replace the ones I have that are badly scratched. (Yes, the scratches show that the goggles were indeed working because I get whacked by branches a lot in wooded areas with thick brush.) I don't know about the other Home Depots, but the self-checkout machines in this store are somewhat flawed. The first thing I noticed is putting an item in the shopping bag doesn't always register on the scale. So I had to push down on the scale to get the self-checkout machine to see that I've bagged the item. Then I saw that coins were getting stuck in the coin slot. I freed them by poking a key into the slot. (So when is O'Reilly coming out with "Self-checkout Hacks"? :) )
Then I noticed that the bill acceptor was rejecting a lot of dollar bills. (I don't think it likes the Where's George stamp, but still...) So I asked the self-checkout attendant if he could count the bills and enter the payment amount at his station. Nope, he said, he didn't have that ability. Huh?? Anyway, I found that inserting the same bill into the bill acceptor a few times will eventually get it to accept the bill. So it could also be an alignment problem. But hey, the store saved a bunch of money with these self-checkout machines by not having to hire as many cashiers.