Tonight, I went for the K and C's Crash Corner geocache in nearby Ramsey. It's at a bend in a quiet road near a bunch of office complexes. The cache owner wrote that this bend is notorious for car accidents in bad weather. It didn't look so bad tonight. Anyway, it's an easy cache but I didn't see it right away due to darkness. After sweeping the area methodically with my flashlight, I did see the cache and that was that. Here's a question: How does a non-citizen and non-resident over the age of 65 buy health insurance? Background: My parents would like to visit for a few months. They are over the age of 65. At their age (well, at any age, for that matter), there is danger of significant illness requiring a hospital stay. If that happens, costs will be in the five figures, so it would be prudent to be insured. What I've learned from requesting quotes on insurance websites and calling insurance agents is insurers, at least the ones serving New Jersey, will only write Medicare-supplement policies for people over 65. Straight-up health insurance is apparently not available for that age group. Of course, my parents won't be eligible for Medicare until they've stayed here legally for 5 years, which is not about to happen just yet. I also called NJ SHIP this afternoon and the lady who answered confirmed everything I wrote above and that there is no insurer who will write them a health insurance policy. When I asked her what a non-citizen over 65 is supposed to do in the first 5 years of residence prior to Medicare qualification, she hung up on me. Okay.... so much for state government. I think travel insurance may be the only way, if they can find something covering more than just a few days. Even then, it is unlikely to be affordable. More generally, I may have stumbled across either an uninsurable demographic group or a niche market that no one serves.