1. If your car/bike is wrecked (if your mass transit service goes belly-up), do you know what you would do to replace it, perhaps even have the car or bike you want already picked out?
After dealing with insurance matters, I would just buy another car. There are many more choices now for hybrid vehicles.
2. A client/friend gives you a lottery ticket, which wins you a prize worth (after taxes) ten times as much money as you earned/received last year. What will you do with it?
No one ever gives me lottery tickets. I think if that happened the giver ought to get a cut of the winnings although I'm not sure what percentage. Only 10 times? Well, okay, I think that's more than enough to buy a house in Northern Delaware and move out of here.
3. Fight or flee?
Depends on what it is.
4. Someone performs a random act of kindness that is exactly what you need on a bad day. If you wish to pay them back, would you write a poem, bake, buy something, or what?
Pecan pie. I've baked that before.
5. Your manager commands you to pick a charity to contribute to. Do you resist? If not, which charity would be your first choice?
They don't do that here. They don't even do matching contributions. I asked. Anyway, I'd pick Nyx.net because it played a small but vital part in getting me a job.
1. On March 6, 1869, Dmitri Mendeleev presented the first Periodic Table of the Elements to the Russian Chemical Society. What memories do you have of your high-school chemistry course?
There was that time when someone put too much sodium in the water and it exploded. Also, there was the day when we played with mercury.
2. On March 6, 1899, the Bayer company registered aspirin as a trademark. When did you last take medication for pain?
Monday morning. Might have twisted my ankle a little during the mascot gig.
3. On March 6, 1853, Giuseppe Verdi's opera La Traviata premiered in Venice. How do you feel about opera?
It's a good web browser but I still haven't switched from K-Meleon. Oh, you didn't mean that kind of Opera!
4. On March 6, 1947, American film director Rob Reiner (Meathead!) was born. Which of these Reiner-directed films have you seen, and what do you think of them?
* The Bucket List (2007)
* Rumor Has It… (2005)
* Alex & Emma (2003)
* The Story of Us (1999)
* Ghosts of Mississippi (1996)
* The American President (1995)
* North (1994)
* A Few Good Men (1992)
* Misery (1990)
* When Harry Met Sally… (1989)
* The Princess Bride (1987)
* Stand by Me (1986)
* The Sure Thing (1985)
* This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
I don't remember watching any of those movies.
5. On March 6, 1972, American basketball-player Shaquille O'Neal was born. How do you feel about basketball?
I'm really bad at that game but at least it's amusing when I shoot hoops in fursuit.
1. If the altfriday5 gained dominion over space and time and gave you an extra 24 hours but mandated that you could only do fun things during it (ie, no catching up on laundry), what would you do?
Given my track record, it'll end up getting spent on 12 hours of geocaching, 2 hours of mascot gig, 4 hours of eating, and 6 hours of rocking the social nets. :)
2. What if we took over the financial system and managed to give you $100 you couldn't spend on bills?
Not sure. I guess I could get Sony Vegas Movie Studio, which some have mentioned over on Lifehacker, to edit movies from my Flip camcorder. Can't buy Vegas Pro with only $100 though.
3. You've won the altfriday5 dream vacation contest! Where would you go?
I've never been to Australia. I guess I should pick that. Then again, there are a few other continents (South America, Africa) to which I've never traveled.
4. We'll grant you one wish! What is it? (If you say "more wishes," we'll hold it against you.)
I wish we would stop trying to prop up systems that have failed or are failing. Let us pick up the pieces, adapt, and reinvent, and we'll get back on track sooner.
Or did you mean that I should wish for something for myself? Okay. I wish I had better eyesight.
5. Now we're prepared to give you one personal quality you'd like to have. Nothing outrageous -- you can't fly, or breathe coffee -- but a trait you admire in others and wish you had more of yourself. Name it!
Tolerance. It would be nice to not get so angry at people when they are being hurtful or disrespectful, but then again, it has given me lots of practice writing complaint letters.